« back to recipes search results
Risotto - Spring Vegetable Recipe
An easy to make risotto, that's also suitable for vegan's. You can vary the types vegetables to suit what you have, as long as the balance between vegetables and rice remains much the same.
For example 4oz (120gr) frozen peas or broad beans could be substituted (still frozen) for the artichokes.
- Suitable for Vegetarians
- Suitable for Vegans
For 4 people:
- 30g Butter or Extra-Virgin Olive Oil (or a mixture of both)
- 1 medium Onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 clove of Garlic, peeled and finely-chopped
- 2 Celery stalks and 2 Carrots, peeled, trimmed and finely-chopped
- 4 baby Artichokes, trimmed down and thinly-sliced
- 400g Arborio or Camaroli Rice
- Salt and freshly-ground Pepper
- A few grates of fresh Nutmeg
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 150ml Dry White Wine
- about 500ml hot Vegetable or Chicken Stock (but have a little more hot and ready)
30g freshly-grated Parmesan
A few grates of fresh Nutmeg
- Heat the butter or oil in a heavy pan, add the vegetables, bay leaf and grated nutmeg and gently sweat the vegetables until the onions are wilted.
- Stir in the rice, and coat well with the butter or oil.
- Pour over the wine and cook, stirring until it has been absorbed before starting to add the hot stock, one ladle at a time.
- Let each addition of stock be absorbed before adding the next.
- Add more or less liquid depending on how creamy you like your risotto.
- Just before serving, stir in the extra butter and Parmesan, plus a few grates of nutmeg.
Serve with extra cheese at the table.
To make ahead, see Risotto, General: