« back to recipes search results
Although basically easy, roast potatoes need care and attention.
- Suitable for Vegetarians
- Suitable for Vegans
Choose floury potatoes such as Cara or King Edward
1. Peel the potatoes, and cut them to the size you want.
2. Put the potato pieces in cold water and bring them to the boil. Simmer them for between 5 and 10 minutes (depending on their size) or until they are about half cooked.
3. Leave them to cool if you have time; either way, sprinkle them with a little flour plus a little salt and pepper.
4. Heat the oven to 200C/400F, and heat some oil – or oil and butter mixed – in a roasting tray, and when this is hot add the floured potato pieces and return to the oven. The pan should be big enough for all the potatoes to touch the bottom. The oil/butter should be at least 5mm deep
5. After 5 minutes shake the potatoes to stop them shaking and baste them so all sides have a little oil. A few sprigs of rosemary can be added at this stage.
6. Roast them for 50 – 60 minutes, turning them over at intervals