« back to recipes search results
Rosti - Apple and Potato
A very good light rosti, ideal for breakfast or brunch.
For 4 people:
- 2 medium Eggs
- 1 big Spanish (mild) Onion
- 4 Granny Smith apples
- 130g Potatoes, peeled weight
- Salt and freshly-ground Black Pepper
- 160ml Soured Cream
1. Pre-heat the oven to 200ºC/400º/gas mark 6.
2. Beat the eggs in a mixing bowl.
3. Peel the onion, quarter the apples, but leave them unpeeled.
4.Grate the potato, apples and onion on the biggest hole of the grater.
5. Squeeze out as much water as you can from the grated items, and discard the liquid.
6. Add the dry mixture to the beaten eggs and season with salt and pepper.
7. Mix thoroughly.
8. Put half the butter in a heavy-based frying pan, and heat over a high heat until the butter begins to brown.
9. Add the potato mixture, pressing it down to make an even round.
10. Lower the heat, and add the remaining butter in blobs around the edges of the pan.
11. When the outside of the cake starts to brown, loosen it with a spatula, and place a lightly-oiled plate on top and flip the frying pan over, so the cake lands on the plate.
12. Slide the cake back into the pan, browned-side up, and bake in the oven for about 12 minutes.
13. Remove from the oven , and cut into wedges and serve with soured cream and other breakfast/brunch items.