« back to recipes search results
Saffron and Brie Tart - warm
Excellent as a starter or as part of a light lunch
½ batch of Garlic pastry (q.v) or bought Short crust pastry
110g/4oz Brie, roughly-chopped
110g/4oz Curd or Cream cheese
2 tablespoons (30ml) clear Honey
2 * medium Eggs
a big pinch of Saffron strands, soaked in a tablespoon (15ml) of very hot water for 15 minutes
170ml/6 fl oz Double Cream
Salt and freshly-ground Pepper
a little soft butter to smear around the tart tins
Equipment: 4 individual, loose-bottomed, tart tins.
1. Lightly butter the tart tins, then line them with thinly rolled pastry.
2. Prick all over the bases with a fork and chill for a minimum of 30 minutes (overnight if need be).
3. Prepare the filling by mixing together all the remaining ingredients.
4. Pre-heat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6.
5. Bake the pastry cases blind for 15 minutes; remove from the oven, and loosen the pastry in the tins.
Can be prepared ahead up to this point.
6. Light or adjust the oven to 170°C/325°F/Gas 3.
7. Share the Brie filling between the tarts, being careful not to spill any – if it overflows the tarts can become stuck in their tins.
8. Bake for 30 minutes.
To serve: allow to cool slightly, then remove tarts from their tins. A little salad decoration sets them off well.
See Blind; to bake:
Recipe taken from 'Foolproof Entertaining' by Simon Scrutton.