« back to recipes search results
Saffron cake - without yeast
A Cornish saffron-flavoured cake or sweet bread containing currants.
- 180g/6 oz Butter, softened
- 180g/6 oz Caster Sugar
- 270g/9 oz Self-Raising Flour, sieved into a bowl to add air
- 2 or 3 big Eggs, lightly-beaten
- 450g/1 lb Currants
- a big pinch of Saffron strands, soaked in 2 tablespoons (30ml) hot water
Equipment: A 15cm/6 in cake tin (loose-bottomed if possible; some silicon non-stick paper. A larger 25cm/10 in tin is needed for the yeast version.
1. In a big bowl, cream the butter and sugar together.
2. Beat in the eggs with a tablespoon of flour.
3. Add the saffron and its water.
4. Add the currants, and the remainder of the flour, and mix all in together.
5. Heat an oven to 180ºC/350ºF/Gas 4.
6. Line a cake tin with the non-stick paper, and fill with the cake mixture.
7. Bake fore 1½ hours, or until a small knife comes out clean when inserted into the middle.
Cool on a wire rack, then keep in an air-tight tin when completely cold.