« back to recipes search results
Scotch Woodcock Recipe
A popular Victorian 'savoury'. It's also suitable for a light lunch, or starter (if followed by something less rich).
For 4 people:
1 x 50g tin of Anchovies, drained
180g/6 oz Unsalted Butter, at room temperature
4 large slices of bread, with the crusts removed
4 Yolks from medium Eggs
300ml/½ pint Double Cream
Salt, freshly-ground Black Pepper and a little Cayenne pepper
Freshly-chopped Parsley or Chives
1. Mash the anchovies up with a fork, and mix then in to 150g/5 oz of the butter.
2. Toast the bread, and share it between warmed plates.
3. Melt the remaining butter in a pan, or bain marie over a low heat, then mix in the egg yolks, followed by the cream.
4. Season with the salt, pepper and Cayenne.
5. Increase the heat a little, and stir with a wooden spoon until you have a thick sauce. Don't leave the sauce unattended, and stir constantly.
Pour the sauce over the taste, and sprinkle with the chopped parsley or chives.