« back to recipes search results
Seafood Sauce - basic recipe
Ideal as a freezer standby. Ideal for serving with poached or lightly-fried white fish.
- 230g/8oz heads and shells from fresh Prawns
- 600ml/1 pint Water
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) Tomato Purée
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) White Wine or Cider Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) Caster Sugar
- 150ml/¼ pint Double Cream
- Salt and freshly-ground Black Pepper
Equipment needed: A stainless-steel saucepan; food processor; sieve
1. Place the prawn heads and shells in a saucepan with the water, and bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
2. Blend in a food processor, then strain through a sieve into a clean pan.
3. Add the tomato purée, vinegar and the sugar and boil rapidly until the mixture is reduced to 300ml/½ pint.
4. Stir in the cream and seasoning.
5. Remove from the heat and leave to cool.
This can be used immediately, or chilled and frozen as a standby.