« back to recipes search results
Selyodka pod shuboi
A traditional Russian/Ukranian dish - literally meaning 'Herring in a fur coat'
For 4 people:
- 2 salted herrings, boned (or the equivalent in roll-mop herrings)
- 1 big cooked beetroot, peeled and grated
- 2 big cooked carrots, grated
- 2 big cooked potatoes, cut into small cubes
- 2 bramley or 3 granny smith apples, peeled, cored and grated
- salt & pepper
1. Cut the fish into bite-size pieces, and arrange these in the bottom of a long oval dish.
2. Season the vegetables being light with the salt and heavy with the pepper.
3. Cover the fish with a layer of grated beetroot, then a layer of grated carrot, then with a layer of carrot, then a layer of potato, and finally with a layer of grated apple - using only half the available fruit and vegetables.
4. Repeat this layering until all the ingredients have been used up.
5. Cover with well-seasoned mayonnaise.