« back to recipes search results
A Scottish oatmeal dish, served as a vegetable - an untraditional but more-modern version can be made with olive oil.
If you enjoy cooking take a minute to look at ‘Simon Scrutton Cookery Classes’ on Google – and learn how to make top class bistro-style dishes. Suitable for beginners upwards.
For 4 people:
- 60g/2oz Beef Dripping or 5 tablespoons (75ml) Olive Oil
- 1 big Onion, peeled and finely-chopped
- 120g/4oz medium Oatmeal
- 2 tablespoons of mixed fresh parsley and snipped chives.
1. Heat the dripping or olive oil, over a medium heat, in a heavy-based frying pan.
2. Add the finely-chopped onion and fry until just golden.
3. Stir in the oatmeal and continue frying until crumbly and golden.
4. Season liberally with salt and freshly-ground pepper.
5. Sprinkle with the fresh herbs.