« back to recipes search results
These rich biscuits keep well in an air-tight tin.
If you enjoy cooking take a minute to look at ‘Simon Scrutton Cookery Classes’ on Google – and learn how to make top class bistro-style dishes. Suitable for beginners upwards.
450g (1 lb) sieved Plain Flour
a big pinch of fine salt
225g (8 oz) Ground Rice
225g (8 oz) Castor Sugar
450g (1 lb) softened Butter
Equipment: 2 Swiss-roll-style baking trays 20 x 25 cm or bigger; an electric mixer
1. Put all the ingredients into a glass bowl together, and mix them together with the electric beater at its slowest speed.
2. Spread the mixture evenly in the trays, and chill in th fridge for a minimum of 30 minutes - or over-night if need be.
3. While the pastry's cooling heat the oven to 130C/250F/Gas 1/2.
4. Cook the shortbread for about 1 hour, then allow to cool.
5. Lightly sprinkle with icing sugar (if desired).
These keep well in an airtight biscuit-type tin.