« back to recipes search results
Soufflé Potatoes Recipe
These delicious slithers of potato, resembling flat chips, need a little forward planning, but are easy as long as you watch the temperature of the oil accurately.
- Suitable for Vegetarians
- Suitable for Vegans
4 medium-sized floury-type potatoes (such as King Edwards or Maris Piper)
Clean vegetable oil for frying
Equipment needed: A deep-fryer with an accurate temperature gauge, or a container suitable for deep-frying and a sugar thermometer registering up to 200ºC/400ºF.
1. Peel the potatoes, the cut them into slices 3mm thick, soak them in cold water for 20 minutes, to remove any excess starch, the drain and pat them dry.
2. Heat the cooking oil to 160ºC/325ºF.
3. Put the slices into the oil, in batches if necessary, and fry them until they form a visible ‘skin’ – remove them ]from the heat and set aside. This can be done ahead of time.
4. When ready to eat heat the frying oil to 190ºC/375ºF, and fry the potatoes. The trapped water inside the ‘skin’ will puff-up in an attractive manner.
5. Drain thoroughly, and remove excess oil using kitchen. Sprinkle with a little salt, and serve.