An excellent starter.
- 240g/8 oz Squid or Cuttlefish, cleaned & scored (on the inside of each tube)
- 1 tablespoon Thai Fish Sauce (Nam Pla)
- 4 tablespoons (60ml) Coconut Cream
- 1 tablespoon Coriander leaves, chopped
For the sauce -
1 coriander root, scraped
Pinch of Salt
3 Garlic cloves, peeled
3 Bird's Eye Chilis
1 tablespoon White Sugar
2 tablespoons (30ml) Lime Juice
1 tablespoon (15ml) Fish Sauce (Nam Pla)
1. Cut the squid into bite-sized pieces.
2. Marinate it in the fish sauce and half the coconut cream for at least 30 minutes.
3. To make the sauce - pound the coriander root with salt using a pestle &mortar until it resembles a fine paste.
4. Add the garlic & chilis and continue pounding until you have a coarse paste.
5. Season with sugar, lime juice and then fish sauce.
The sauce should be hot, sour, salty & sweet.
6. Grill the squid, drizzling with the remaining coconut cream as it cooks. This will only take about 1 minute on each side (squid is cooked when it's opaque in colour - over-cooking will thoughen it).
Serve sprinkled with coriander leaves, and with a bowl of sauce on the side.