A 'Catch-All' recipe.
250g dried egg noodles, cooked according to the directions on the packet, rinsed and drained
1 tablespoon Groundnut Oil
1 medium Onion, peeled, and finely-chopped
2 medium or 1 big clove of Garlic, peeled and crushed with a little salt
200g Pork fillet/Chicken breast/shelled Prawns - or a mixture of all three
2 thin Leeks, trimmed, sliced and well rinsed
100g fresh Bean Sprouts, blanched in boiling water for 10 seconds
a small bunch of Garlic Chives (if available), or Chives (if not)
2 baby Bok Choi
1 tablespoon Oriental Black Bean Sauce or Black fermented Beans, rinsed
½ teaspoon Caster Sugar
2 teaspoons of traditionally-brewed Soy Sauce
freshly-ground Black Pepper or Sichuan pepper
150ml Water or Chicken Stock
Equipment needed: a wok
1. Heat the oil in a wok, and fry the onion and garlic until soft and golden brown.
2. Cut the meat into matchsticks, and add this to the pan.
3. Brown it lightly, and then add the vegetables.
4. Stir-fry for a minute or two before adding the prawns (if using) and the remaining ingredients, including the liquid.
5. Cook for 3 minutes, and then add the noodles.
6. Bring to the boil, and, when the mixture is bubbling, transfer to bowls.