« back to recipes search results
Sweet & Sour Sauce Recipe
This is a good dipping sauce, or can accompany fried cubes of pork tenderloin to make a version of sweet and sour sauce - in which case the quantities given will serve four people.
If you enjoy cooking take a minute to look at ‘Simon Scrutton Cookery Classes’ on Google – and learn how to make top class bistro-style dishes. Suitable for beginners upwards.
- Suitable for Vegetarians
- Suitable for Vegans
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) groundnut or sunflower oil
225g/8 oz Shallots, peeled and finely-chopped
2 tablespoons (30ml) Sugar
3 tablespoons (45ml) Red Wine Vinegar (Chinese if possible)
275ml/10 fl oz fresh Orange Juice
1 teaspoon (5ml) Cornflour, mixed with a little water
Salt and freshly-ground Black Pepper
1. Heat the oil in a saucepan,, then add the chopped shallots and sugar.
2. Cook over a low heat until the sauce becomes a light caramel colour, then simmer for a further 2 minutes.
3. Gently beat in the dissolved cornflour mixture and stir until the sauce is smooth.
4. Season with salt and pepper.