« back to recipes search results
Tomatoes - Basil Baked
These make an excellent vegetarian starter, or a good side dish.
For 4 starters:
8 ripe tomatoes
Salt and freshly-ground Black Pepper
A teaspoon (5ml) of caster sugar
90g/3oz fresh white breadcrumbs (made in a food processor)
50g/2oz freshly-grated Parmesan (dried will be disappointing)
a handful (about 25g/1oz) fresh basil leaves
1 big or 2 medium cloves of Garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
4 tablespoons (60ml) good Olive oil
Equipment: Food Processor
1. Wash the tomatoes, and cut them in half across the middle. Scoop a few of the seeds out of each tomato section with a teaspoon, without spoiling the tomatoes shape.
2. Put them in a shallow baking dish, and season them lightly with salt and pepper, and distribute the sugar.
3. Pre-heat the oven to 190°/375°/Gas 5.
4. In a food processor, blend together the breadcrumbs, Parmesan, basil and copped garlic.
5. Add the oil through the feed tube of the processor while the motor is running.
6. Sprinkle the crumb mixture over the tomatoes.
7. Bake them for 20 minutes in the oven, or until a crust has formed, and they have lightly browned.
Serve warm or at room temperature.