« back to recipes search results
Tomato Sauce Recipe
A good basic sauce. Full of flavour, and excellent with pasta. It's a good freezer standby, as it will keep for about three months without deteriorating..
1 big Onion, peeled and chopped
2 big, or 3 medium, cloves of Garlic, peeled and chopped
2 * 400gr tins of Italian Tomatoes
110g/4oz chopped streaky Bacon (unless cooking for vegetarians)
1 big Carrot, diced
5 fl oz Dry White, or Red Wine
4 tablespoons (60ml) Olive Oil
Salt, freshly-ground Pepper and 1 teaspoon (5ml) Caster Sugar
A pinch of dried, or a larger amount of fresh Oregano or Marjoram
1. Soften the onion in the olive oil over a low heat, without browning.
2. After about three minute, add the bacon, carrot and chopped garlic, and continue to cook slowly for a further few minute.
3. Add the tomatoes and wine, breaking up the tomatoes with the back of a wooden spoon.
4. Raise the heat to medium, and cook, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
5. Add your chosen herb half way through, and taste for salt and pepper a the end.
The sauce can be served as it is, or liquidised if preferred.