« back to recipes search results
Tomato Sauce - Caramelised Recipe
quick and easy to make, and more delicious than you could imagine such simple ingredients could produce.
An excellent accompaniment to simply cooked fish. Fish Fillets; Frying (q.v.).
450g/1lb fresh Tomatoes, or if lacking flavour a 400g tin of the best whole tomatoes
1 big clove of Garlic, peeled and chopped
230ml/8 fl oz good Olive Oil
Salt and freshly-ground Pepper
1. Cut the tomatoes in two and de-seed and juice as well as possible.
2. Pre-heat the oven to 200ºC/400ºF/Gas 6.
3. Pour the olive oil into a roasting tin, spread the tomatoes out on top and roast in the oven for 30 minutes. The tomatoes should look slightly burnt, don't worry, this is fine.
4. Place the roasting tin on a medium heat, then add the chopped garlic and 600ml/1 pint of water.
5. Deglaze the pan to loosen the tomatoes, and cook for a further 30 minutes.
6. Liquidise the sauce, then sieve it into a stainless steel saucepan.
7. Season with a little salt and pepper.
· Can be prepared ahead up to this point, and re-heated
8. Whisk in the butter just before serving.