« back to recipes search results
Tomato and Spinach Sauce Recipe
A sauce with Thai influences, ideal when served with Meat Balls or simply-cooked chicken.
If you enjoy cooking take a minute to look at ‘Simon Scrutton Cookery Classes’ on Google – and learn how to make top class bistro-style dishes. Suitable for beginners upwards.
For 6 people:
2 medium Onions, peeled and finely-chopped
1 medium clove of Garlic, peeled and finely-chopped
4 tablespoons (60ml) Vegetable Oil
5 tablespoons Thick Chili Sauce - such as Encona
5 tablespoons Rice or White Wine Vinegar
5 tablespoons of Thai Fish Sauce - (Nam Pla)
3 tablespoons (45ml) Soft Brown Sugar
2 x 400g tins of Chopped Italian Tomatoes
Salt and freshly-ground Black Pepper
About 300g young Spinach leaves, or older leaves stripped of their stalks - both carefully washed and drained
1. Heat the oil, over a low heat, in a deep frying pan.
2. Add the chopped onions and sweat until they are soft and translucent, rather than brown. Add the chopped garlic, and cook for a further minute.
3. Add the chili sauce, Thai fish sauce, sauce and vinegar - stir until the sugar dissolves.
4. Add the chopped tomatoes and simmer the mixture slowly for 15 minutes until it's thick. Check the seasoning - you will need pepper, but maybe only a little salt, as the Thai Fish Sauce is salty.
5. Add the spinach, and when it has collapsed and looks wilted, the sauce is ready.