« back to recipes search results
Tomato Tart - fresh
Delicious either warm or cold, but don't refrigerate.
- Suitable for Vegetarians
- Suitable for Vegans
For 4 individual tarts:
Half a batch of Pizza Dough (q.v.), the remainder freezes well for another time
90ml/3 fl oz Good Olive Oil
4 medium, or 2 big cloves of Garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
900g/2lbs firm, ripe Tomatoes - thinly-sliced
8 Basil leaves, torn rather than cut, into pieces
a little Sea-Salt and freshly-ground Pepper
1 tablespoon (15ml) chopped fresh Parsley or 4 small sprigs of Basil to decorate
1. Divide the dough into 4 balls, and roll out thinly, as if making a pizza.
2. Slightly push the edges in to form a small wall.
3. Place the rounds on lightly-floured or non-stick baking trays, then brush all over with some of the oil and scatter with the garlic.
4. Heat the oven to 230º/450º/Gas 8
5. Spread the tomatoes out evenly, as if making an apple tart.
6. Sprinkle with the basil and some sea- salt and pepper
7. Drizzle with the remaining olive oil.
8. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, but check after 18, in case you have a hot oven – they vary considerably.
Be prepared for a beautiful smell as this cooks!
Decorate with chopped parsley or a sprig of basil, if you have some.