« back to recipes search results
Turkey and Apple Patties with Chili Apple Sauce
A good way of using leftover cooked turkey, but it can equally-well be done with fresh minced turkey - but slightly increase the cooking time.
Ingredients for 4:
500g/1 lb cooked turkey – minced, or an equal quantity of fresh turkey mince
75g/3 oz fresh white breadcrumbs
3 tablespoons (45ml) Milk or Turkey Stock
1 Bramley, or 2 firm Dessert Apples, peeled & cored, then chopped and kept in water with the juice of ½ a Lemon
½ a medium Onion, peeled and finely-chopped
2 teaspoons of roughly-chopped fresh Thyme leaves, or 1 level teaspoon dried Thyme
1 teaspoon (5ml) Coriander seeds – crushed with a roll pin
1 level teaspoon (4ml) Salt
freshly-ground Black Pepper
a little Flour
1 dessertspoon (10ml) Vegetable Oil
Chili Apple Sauce:
Ingredients for Chili Apple Sauce:
1 Red Chili (of medium heat), split, and with the seeds removed – then finely-chopped or a generous pinch of crushed dried chilis
3 Bramley, or 6 firm Dessert Apples – peeled, cored and sliced
1 tablespoon (15ml) Cider or White Wine Vinegar
1. Put the breadcrumbs in a bowl, and add the milk or stock, and mix well. Leave to stand for about 5 minutes.
2. Drain the apple pieces, and add then to the breadcrumbs.
3. Add the turkey mince, chopped onion, thyme, salt, and plenty of freshly-ground black pepper.
4. Mix thoroughly.
5. Divide the mixture into about 12 balls, them slightly flatten them with the palm of your hand.
6. Chill them in the fridge, for at least 30 minutes, to firm-up.
7. In the meantime, make the Chili Apple Sauce – see below.
8. When ready to cook the patties, dip them in a plate of flour on both sides – shaking off any excess. Heat the oven to 180ºC/350º/Gas 4.
9. Heat the oil in a large, deep, frying pan.
10. When it’s hot, brown the patties for about 1 minute on each side.
11. Transfer them to a baking/roasting tray.
12. Cook them for 15 minutes (25, if using fresh/raw mince) in the heated oven
Serve with the Chili Apple Sauce served in a bowl at the side. Mashed potato makes an excellent accompaniment.
Chili Apple Sauce:
1. Put all the sauce ingredients in a stainless steel saucepan with 2 tablespoons (30ml) water.
2. Cook until the apples collapse – this will be about 10 minutes for Bramleys, a little longer for dessert varieties.
Set aside until ready to serve.