« back to recipes search results
Turkish 'Ratatouille' Recipe
An excellent Starter, or part of a buffet.
5 tablespoons (75ml) Olive Oil
1 big Onion, peeled and thinly-sliced
1 medium-sized, firm, Aubergines, weighing about 400g/14oz in total – cut into 2.5cm strips
2 Green Peppers, seeded and cut into thin strips
350g/12oz ripe Tomatoes, skinned and chopped
2 medium cloves of Garlic, peeled and chopped
350g/12oz Greek Yogurt
Salt and freshly-ground Pepper
To serve: warmed pitta bread, and mint sprigs (if available)
Equipment: a Wok or big flat pan.
1. In a big pan, heat the olive oil, then gently stir-fry the onion for 10-15 minutes until softened and golden, but not burnt.
2. Add the aubergine, peppers and your chosen herbs and stir-fry for a further 10 minutes.
3. Add the tomatoes and the first 2 cloves of chopped garlic - season and bring to the boil.
4. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, very gently for 20 minutes; removing the lid & increasing the heat for the last few minutes, if necessary, to reduce the sauce.
5. Allow to cool at room temperature.
6. In a bowl, beat together the garlic, yoghurt and a pinch of salt.
7. Divide the 'ratatouille' between warmed serving plates and garnish with mint sprigs (if available).
Serve with a bowl of the 'garlic yoghurt' and warmed pitta or flat bread.