For 4 people as a Side Salad:
1-2 tablespoons (30-45ml) Olive Oil, for frying
1 medium, firm, Aubergine, with the leaf-end removed, and the remainder cut lengthways into 3mm thick slices
2 small, firm, courgettes, cut into 3mm slices
2 Red Peppers
1 medium clove of Garlic, peeled and finely-chopped
the needles from a sprig of fresh Rosemary
Salt and freshly-ground Black Pepper
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF/Gas 4
2. Heat a little olive oil to a heavy frying pan, and when its hot, fry the aubergine slices in batches until golden brown - adding more oil if necessary. Remove and set aside.
3. Repeat this operation with the courgettes.
4. Roast the red peppers in the oven for about 20 minutes, or until they start to lose their shape.
5. Over a bowl, pierce each pepper so the juices are released into a bowl, and reserve.
6. Halve the peppers, core and seed them - then cut them into strips.
7. Arrange the peppers, courgettes and aubergines in an ovenproof dish and brush with a little more olive oil.
8. Scatter over the garlic and rosemary needles and roast for 30 minutes.
9. Make the dressing - place the vinegar, oil, reserved pepper juices and seasoning in a screw-topped jar and shake vigorously to mix.
Drizzle over the vegetables and serve hot, warm or at room temperature - not straight from the fridge.