« back to recipes search results
Verjuice Dressing for Fish or Vegetables
An excellent sharp sauce that is easy to make, and complements fish fillets (such as plaice or sole).
To obtain verjuice (which is made from grapes) see our Mail Order Section.
50g/2 oz Butter
2 small Shallots or 1 banana Shallot, peeled and finely-chopped
200ml Fish Stock
100ml Double Cream
Salt and freshly-ground pepper
A little freshly-chopped fresh Parsley or Chervil, to decorate
1. Melt the butter gently in a small stainless steel saucepan, then add the chopped shallots.
2. 'Sweat' the shallots for two minutes stirring, then add the fish stock, and bring to the boil.
3. Simmer for 5 minutes then add the verjuice, and reduce the mixture by half.
4. Add the cream and cook until the sauce thickens a little.
5. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Serve drizzled over the fish fillets, and decorate with a little freshly-chopped parsley or chervil.