« back to recipes search results
Vinegar - Elderflower Recipe
This is very good for making a quick and easy sauce for grilled chicken or pork, and when diluted with sparking water - in a ratio of 1 vinegar to 8 water - makes a refreshing drink.
Elderflowers are often freely-available during late April and early May, and most go to waste.
- Suitable for Vegetarians
- Suitable for Vegans
For 2 litres:
35 - 40 heads of Elderflower, in full bloom
1 kilo Caster Sugar
1.7 litres White Wine or Cider Vinegar
the zest of 2 Oranges, cut into strips
2 x 1 litre Preserving Jars; some washed muslin or cheesecloth
1. Wash the preserving jars, and dry and sterilise them in a cool oven (110C) for about 20 minutes, remembering to remove any rubber seal first. These can be boiled in water separately.
2. Remove the jars from the oven and cool then slightly.
3. Fill the jars with the blossom heads and share out the sugar and the orange zest.
4. Fill the jars with the vinegar and seal them.
5. Leave them in a sunny place for 2 weeks, shaking them every day.
6. Strain the liquid through a sieve lined with muslin and return to the jars or other glass bottles washed and sterilised in the manner described above.
Label, and keep in a dark place