« back to recipes search results
Cabbage Soup with Apple - Recipe
An excellent warming soup. Any soup containing cabbage, must be kept chilled, as cabbage tends to become sour, and ferment, after a day or so otherwise.
Suitable for vegans, with a few minor adjustments.
- Suitable for Vegetarians
- Suitable for Vegans
For 6 helpings:
1 medium-sized Cabbage, washed and shredded
1 medium Onion, peeled and chopped
1 medium clove of Garlic, peeled and chopped
3 pints of Vegetable stock (we recommend Marigold powder) or Beef stock if needing something more muscular
1 Bay Leaf
½ teaspoon (2ml) freshly-ground Black Pepper
1 sharp Apple (a Bramley if possible) peeled, cored and chopped
Salt to taste – this will depend on the saltiness of the stock – ½ a teaspoon (2ml) is a guideline
- In a saucepan, capable of holding all the ingredients, melt the butter over a low heat.
- Add the chopped onions and 'sweat' until they are translucent.
- Add the chopped cabbage and garlic clove, and mix well - cook for 2/3 minutes.
- Add the stock, bay leaf and pepper.
- Bring the mixture to the boil, then reduce the heat to very low again, and simmer for about 30 minutes, or until the cabbage is almost tender.
- Add the apple, and simmer for a further 15 minutes.
- Remove the Bay Leaf, and taste for salt.