« back to recipes search results
Crisps from Root Vegetables
These are excellent with pre-dinner drinks or as game chips with simply-roasted poultry or game. Any root vegetable will do, apart from the obvious - potatoes, celeriac, carrots parsnips for example; plus our own favourite beetroot.
- Suitable for Vegetarians
- Suitable for Vegans
Your chosen vegetable (or a mixture), peeled
Equipment needed: Deep-Fryer; a mandolin if possible
1. Slice the vegetables into thin rounds and soak them in cold water for 20 minutes – this will reduce their starch level.
2. Heat a deep-fryer to 190°C/385°F.
3. Drain the vegetable slices and dry the thoroughly on paper towels.
4. Fry the chips for about 3 minutes or until crisp (in batches if necessary).
5. Drain on more kitchen paper and serve.
They are better freshly-cooked, but will keep for a few days in an airtight tin.