« back to recipes search results
Cheese Straws Recipe
Very good with drinks and easy to make.
Ingredients for about 50 small straws:
3 oz/90gr Plain Flour, sieved
3 oz/90gr Butter, at room temperature
2 medium Egg Yolks
2 oz/60gr Strong Cheddar Cheese, grated
1 oz/30gr Fresh Parmesan Cheese, grated
¼ teaspoon (1ml) Chili Powder
¼ teaspoon (1ml) Fine Salt
1. Put the butter into a large bowl and cream until light.
2. Add the sifted flour, egg yolks and chili powder to the butter and mix together thoroughly.
3. Mix in the grated cheese.
4. Gather the dough into a ball, put it into a plastic bag or wrap in cling wrap, then rest it in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
5. Heat the oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas 5.
6. Roll out the flour on a lightly floured surface, until it’s about ¼ ins/50mm thick.
7. Cut the dough into fingers of about 2 ins/5cm – any leftovers can be re-rolled, so you should be able to use it all.
8. Transfer carefully to a baking tray, giving each a little twist if you like.
9. Bake in the oven for about 10-15 minutes, or until golden/
Cool a little, then taste to make sure they’re all right. When you’ve finished them, start again!
They are better warm, but still good cold, and keep well in an air-tight tin.