« back to recipes search results
Curried Parsnip Soup Recipe
A delicious soup made popular by Jane Grigson, also beautifully-easy to make. For a special occasion accompany with parsnip crisps. See 'Root Vegetable Crisps'
Ingredients for 6 people:
- 6 oz/180gr Butter
- 2 lbs/900gr Parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium Onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 Leek, split, then carefully washed and chopped
- 2 big or 4 medium cloves of Garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) White Flour
- 3 teaspoons (15ml) curry Powder
- 4 pints/2.2 litres Beef or Vegetable Stock
- ½ pint/300ml Single Cream
- Salt and freshly-ground Pepper
- Chopped fresh Chives (optional)
Equipment needed: Food Processor or Liquidiser
- Sweat the vegetables gently in the butter for 15 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Add the flour and the curry powder - mix well in.
- Gradually add the stock, stirring all the time.
- Bring the soup to the boil and simmer until the parsnip is tender - about 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and allow it to cool slightly.
- Add the cream, then check the seasoning, adding salt and pepper as necessary.
It can be prepared ahead up to this stage, then reheated.