« back to recipes search results
Carrot & Parmesan Filo / Phyllo Parcel
You wouldn't believe carrots could taste so good! These parcels can be prepared a day in advance and finished at the last moment.
For 4, as a main course:
1 lb/500gr Old Carrots, peeled
1 medium Onion, peeled
1 big or 2 medium cloves of Garlic, peeled
6 oz/180gr Butter
4 oz/120gr grated Fresh Parmesan - please don't be tempted to use dried
4 oz Curd Cheese, or similar
A big pinch of dried Thyme
Salt and freshly-ground Black Pepper
4 sheets of Filo Pastry - we find frozen filo very good; you can partially thaw the packet, carefully remove what you need, then re-freeze the remainder
1 medium Egg, lightly beaten
- Finely chop the onion, carrots and garlic.
- Melt 1 oz/30gr of the butter and gently sweat the vegetables in it for 3-4 minutes. Allow to cool slightly.
- Add half the grated Parmesan, the curd cheese, thyme and salt and pepper - mix well. Allow to cool, if time is available.
- Melt the remaining butter in a small saucepan.
- Spread out a filo pastry sheet. Paint one half of it with some melted butter, sprinkle a little Parmesan on the buttered half. Then fold the un-buttered half over to form a rectangle.
- Spread one quarter of the carrot mixture down the middle of the pastry, leaving good margins all around.
- Fold the pastry over on all sides to make a parcel, using a little melted butter as 'glue'.
- The parcels can be prepared ahead up to this point, and then kept in the fridge.
- When ready to cook, heat the oven to 220ºC/425ºF/Gas 7.
- When the oven's hot, glaze the parcel top with a little beaten egg, then bake in the oven for 15 minutes or until the pastry is crisp.
The parcels are particularly good served with Hollandaise Sauce (q.v.)