« back to recipes search results
Mushroom Soup Recipe
A delicious soup which can be made vegetarian by using vegetable stock.
If you enjoy cooking take a minute to look at http://www.gourmetbritain.com/cookery-wine-schools/32475/simon-scrutton-cookery-classes/ - learn how to make top-class dishes from beginners upwards.
1 large Onion, peeled and finely-chopped
60gr/2 oz Butter
300gr/10 oz Flat Mushrooms (buttons will give little flavour) - finely chopped
60gr/2 oz White Flour
Salt and freshly-ground Black Pepper to taste
400ml/15 fl oz Chicken Stock, or Vegetable Stock if making a vegetable version
400ml/15 fl oz Milk
A little double cream and chopped parsley to serve.
Melt the butter gently in a pan large enough to hold all the ingredients, add the onions and cook until soft.
1. Add the finely-chopped mushrooms and cook for a further 3-4 minutes.
2. Stir in the flour, a little salt and pepper and allow to cook for a few more minutes before slowly adding the stock and milk.
3. Stir until the sauce thickens.
4. Allow it to simmer for 8-10 minutes.
5. Check the seasoning to suit your last.
Serve with a swirl of cream and a little chopped parsley.