« back to recipes search results
Red Pepper Coulis Recipe
An excellent coulis/sauce that's ideal to serve with individual ravioli (see Goats Cheese Ravioli q.v.), mousses (such as Spinach Mousse q.v.) - or perhaps with a lightly-fried chicken-breast, pork or veal escalope.
If you enjoy cooking take a minute to look at http://www.gourmetbritain.com/cookery-wine-schools/32475/simon-scrutton-cookery-classes/ - learn how to make top-class dishes from beginners upwards.
- Suitable for Vegetarians
- Suitable for Vegans
- 1 big Onion, peeled and chopped
- 6 Red Peppers, cored and de-seeded, and any internal white pith removed
- 4 Shallots, peeled and chopped (optional, but add character for a special occasion)
- 1 Leek, split, the carefully washed and chopped
- 2 sticks of Celery, washed and chopped
- 2 medium cloves of Garlic, peeled and chopped
- 4 oz/120gr Butter (or sunflower oil if vegan)
- 1 sprig of fresh Thyme, with the leave removed and the stalk discarded, or a pinch of dried Thyme
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) Caster Sugar
- 1 pint/500ml Tomato Juice
- Salt and freshly-ground Black Pepper - to taste
Equipment needed: A food processor or liquidiser
1.Melt the butter, very gently, in a stainless steel saucepan - then add the vegetables and herbs.
2.'Sweat' for 10-15 minutes, or until the peppers are tender.
3.Add the tomato juice and sugar, and cook for a further 10 minutes.
4.Set aside to cool a little.
5.Liquidise until smooth, then taste for salt and pepper.