« back to recipes search results
Cup Cakes/Fairy Cakes Recipe
These traditional small cakes are ideal for tea parties and picnics, and are easy to make.
Ingredients for about 24 cakes:
120gr/4 oz Butter, softened, but not melted
120gr/4 oz Caster Sugar – unrefined if possible
the Zest of 1 Orange, being careful not to include ant white pith; or 2ml/½ teaspoon Vanilla Essence
2 medium Eggs, lightly beaten
250gr/8 oz Plain Flour, sifted
5ml/1 teaspoon Baking Powder
100ml/4 fl oz Milk
120gr/4 oz Unsalted Butter, slightly softened
60gr/2 oz Icing Sugar, sifted
30gr/1 teaspoon Vanilla Essence
Food Colouring (optional)
Sugar Flowers (optional)
Equipment needed: 24 individual paper cases and 2 baking trays to hold them.
1. Cream the butter and caster sugar together with a whisk until light and fluffy.
2. Add the orange zest or ½ teaspoon of vanilla essence.
3. Gradually add the beaten egg, mixing it well in. Heat the oven to 180C or 160C, if you have a fan oven.
4. Slowly mix the flour and baking powder into the butter mixture, and stir until smooth.
5. Divide the mixture between the paper cases and bake for about 20 minutes, or when a clean skewer comes out clean, when pushed into the middle.
6. Allow to cool.
7. To make the buttercream – beat together the butter, icing sugar and vanilla extract, plus a few drops of colouring if you wish to use it.
8. Spread this over the cooled cakes, and decorate each with a sugar flowers for a special occasion.