« back to recipes search results
Puff Pastry Recipe
A rich, crisp and flaky pastry, correctly made by folding and layering butter between the folded raw pastry.
It's time consuming to make, but not difficult. Jus Rol (and others) make a puff pastry that contains butter, and this can be found in good supermarkets
1 lb/450gr Unsalted Butter, at room temperature
1 lb/450gr Plain White Flour
16 fl oz/450ml Water
2 teaspoons (10ml) Salt
1. Place the butter on a worktop and flatten it with a rolling pin.
2. Sprinkle it with 2 oz/60gr of the flour.
3. Using your finger tips, and a pastry scraper if you have one, work the mixture until you have a smooth blend.
4. Form a square of the mixture, put it on a plate and refrigerate it.
5. Put the remaining flour in a mixing bowl and add the water and salt. Mix until you have a shiny dough. Work the pastry as little as possible.
6. Form the dough into a ball, the make cuts – almost all the way through – so the ball looks as though it has 4 quarters.
7. Spread out the sections to make a four-leafed clover.
8. Place the refrigerated butter in the centre of the dough.
9. Bring the edges over the butter, and seal the butter inside.
10. Gently roll this dough into a rectangle, then return the pastry to the refrigerator for 30-40 minutes.
11. Remove the pastry from the fridge and roll the dough into a long rectangle about ½ ins/1cm thick. Be gentle, or the butter will leak out.
12. Fold one of the thin sides back on itself to a point two-thirds up the pastry, then roll the thicker section to make it the same thickness as the last third.
13. Fold the single layer back over the doubled section. You now have 3 layers – this is known as 1 'turn'.
14. Return to the fridge for a further 20 minutes.
15. Remove the pastry from the fridge, then on a lightly-floured worktop, roll out thinly and repeat stage 12.
16. Return the pastry to the fridge for a further 20 minutes.
17. Repeat this until you have done 6 'turns'.
The pastry should be chilled again and is then ready to use. Any left-over scraps can be mixed with a little strong grated Cheddar or Parmesan and cut into fingers for cheese straws.