« back to recipes search results
Rice - Onion Pilaf Recipe
Rice can be cooked specially for this dish or it
- Suitable for Vegetarians
- Suitable for Vegans
A light meal for 4:
10 oz/300gr Basmati or Patna Rice, rinsed-through with cold water, several times; or 20 oz/600gr cooked Rice (if keeping cooked rice, it must always be kept in the fridge and not for more tha a couple of days, as it's a major source of food poisoning)
3 tablespoons (45gr) Vegetable Oil
- If using uncooked rice, put it with plenty of cold water and a little salt, bring it to the boil, them simmer, until it's cooked - but still retains a little bit. The time will depend on the variety, but taste after 8 minutes. Drain.
- Heat the oil, over a medium heat, in a pan large enough to hold all the ingredients, then add the seeds and the asafoetida (if using).
- When the seeds start to pop, add the chopped chilis, curry leaves, grated ginger and onions and cook for about 5 minutes - until the onions have softened.
- Add the sugar and rice and mix well in.
- Lower the heat a little and cook for a further 5 minutes, carefully turning the mixture over occasionally.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add the cashew nuts and lemon juice, give one final stir and serve.
This reheats very well in a microwave, but as mentioned never leave cooked rice out at room temperature for very long.