« back to recipes search results
Artichokes, Globe - to prepare
This isn't daunting - so give it a go.
- Suitable for Vegetarians
- Suitable for Vegans
Cooking the whole choke: For 4 artichokes - These are good served with 'Black Butter Sauce', allowing your guests to remove and dunk leaves one at a time. A finger bowl of warm water and a napkin are essential.
1. Put 3 litres of water in a saucepan, and add the juice of 2 lemons (not more as is sometimes recommended, as this can make the vegetable bitter).
2. Add 2 whole cloves of Garlic, 2 Bay Leaves, 4 sprigs of fresh or 2 big pinches of dried Thyme and some salt and freshly-ground Black Pepper.
2. Bring the water to the boil, then add the artichokes, Simmer them for 15 - 20 minutes or until they feel tender when a sharp knife is inserted.
3. Remove them from the heat, place one on each serving dish, and serve.
See Black Butter Sauce
Cooking just to use the base: For 4 artichokes - These are excellent served stuffed with crab, a duxelle of mushrooms or anything similar.
1. Put a litre of water in a saucepan and squeeze in the juice from 1 lemon (not more, as is sometimes recommended, as it can make the choke bitter).
2. Add a peeled whole clove of Garlic, a Bay Leaf, 2 sprigs of fresh or a big pinch of dried Thyme and some salt and freshly-ground Black Pepper.
3. Bring this mixture to the boil.
4. While this is heating, prepare the chokes - one at a time. Remove all the leaves until just the heart (firm base) remains, then add them to the flavoured water.
5. Cover them with a small plate or saucer, so they remain submerged in the water.
6. Simmer them for 15 - 20 minutes or until they feel tender when a sharp knife is inserted.
7. Remove them from the heat and allow them to cool.