« back to recipes search results
Apple Strudel Recipe
A dessert/pastry, originating in Austria, made by rolling paper-thin layers of pastry, filled with a lightly-spiced apple mixture. Traditionally, a special pastry is made, but we find that bought filo pastry – available fresh or frozen from most supermarkets – very satisfactory.
For 6 helpings:
2 sheets of filo pastry, thawed- out if frozen, but left in its sealed plastic packet until the last minute - the remaining pastry can be frozen or quickly refrozen
1 lb/450gr Cooking Apples - perhaps Granny Smiths
2 oz/60gr Fresh White Breadcrumbs
1 oz/30gr Butter, plus a little for glazing before cooking
2 oz/60gr Sultanas
2 oz/60gr Caster Sugar
1 level teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
The grated rind of 1 Lemon
A little flour
A little Icing Sugar when serving.
1. Peel and core the apples and cut them into small pieces.
2. Put these in a bowl with the cinnamon, sugar, sultanas and lemon zest. Mix well together.
3. Melt the butter under a gentle heat and set aside.
4. On a very-lightly-floured work surface lay out the two pastry sheets, and brush along a ins/2.5cm stretch of the long side of one sheet.
5. 'Stick' the second sheet to this, effectively doubly the size of the sheet.
6. Brush the whole of the top side of this pastry with most of the remaining butter (holding back a little for glazing), then sprinkle this with the breadcrumbs - leaving a 2 ins/5cm breadcrumb-free area around the edges.
7. Spread the apple mixture over the pastry - again leaving a 2 ins/5cm buttery strip around the edges.
8. Roll the pastry and its contents gently towards you, rolling it in the style of a Swiss Roll.
9. Seal the ends, the butter should stick together. Then paint a little extra butter or cold water on the end flaps and fold then over, so they stick to the pudding.
10. Put the strudel on a lightly floured baking sheet and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
11. While this is chilling, heat the oven to 425F/220C/Gas 7.
12. Brush the top of the pastry with the remaining butter, then bake it in the centre of the oven for 10 minutes.
13. Lower the oven temperature to 400F/200C/Gas 6 and bake for a further 25 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown.
Serve hot or cold sprinkled with a little icing sugar.