« back to recipes search results
Dundee Cake Recipe
A rich fruitcake decorated with split almonds.
Whilst it needs time to make, it's easy and most of the time is baking time, as the oven should be on a slow setting.
You might have most of the ingredients in your store cupboard in any case, just waiting to be used. It will also be better than anything you'll be able to buy.
For a deep 8 ins/20cm cake tin:
8 oz/240gr Butter, at room temperature; plus a little for greasing the tin
10 oz/300gr Plain Flour
1 level teaspoon (2ml) Baking Powder
1 level teaspoon (2ml) Ground Cinnamon
1 level teaspoon (2ml) Ground Mixed Spice
8 oz/240gr Caster Sugar
4 large or 5 medium Eggs
8 oz/240gr Raisins (seedless if possible)
8 oz/240gr Sultanas (seedless if possible)
4 oz/120gr Mixed Peel
2 oz/60gr Glacé Cherries
the grated rind of half a Lemon
2 oz/60gr Blanched Almonds halved lengthways
Equipment needed: an 8 ins/20cm, deep cake tin plus enough carefully-cut-out greaseproof or silicon paper to line it.
1. Lightly butter the cake tin and line it with the greaseproof/silicon paper.
2. Sift the flour with the baking powder and spices into a bowl.
3. Heat the oven to 170C/325F/Gas 3.
4. In a separate large bowl, cream the butter with the sugar, this should be added gradually. When it's light and fluffy, beat in one of the eggs.
5. Add 2 tablespoons (30ml) of the flour mixture and mix well in – follow this with the remaining eggs, mixing as you go.
6. Add all the remaining ingredients – except the almonds to the flour mixture. Blend them well in.
7. Slowly blend the flour mixture into the butter using a cutting action.
8. When you have a smooth mixture, tip the complete mixture into the prepared cake tin.
9. Smooth the top of the cake, then decorate with the halved almonds.
10. Bake the cake on the lower shelf of the oven for 2 hours. Turn the oven off and leave the cake in the oven for a further 20 minutes.
11. Remove the cake from the oven and allow it to cool for 15 minutes before carefully turning it out onto a wire rack. When cool carefully remove the paper covering.