« back to recipes search results
Cookies; American basic
The American word for what the British call sweet biscuits. They are quick and easy to make.
For about 40 cookies:
5 oz/150gr Butter - cut into small pieces, plus a little for greasing the baking tray/s
11 oz/330gr Plain Flour
2 rounded teaspoons (10ml) Baking Powder
a big pinch of Salt
5 oz/150gr Caster Sugar
3 oz/90gr Dark Brown Sugar
the grated rind of half a Lemon
the grated rind of 1 Orange
2 medium Eggs
2 tablespoons (30ml) Single Cream
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a mixing bowl.
- Heat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
- Add both types of sugar to the flour mixture and mix well in.
- Rub the butter pieces into the mixture with your finger tips.
- Lightly butter a baking sheet (you may need two), and set them aside.
- Lightly beaten the cream and eggs together, then stir this into the flour mixture.
- Drop teaspoons of the mixture onto the baking sheet/s - giving a good gap between each.
- Bake each tray in the centre of the oven for about 15 minutes - or until the biscuits are golden.
Cool and serve.