« back to recipes search results
Gooseberry Crumble Recipe
Fairly quick and easy to make and a good way of using up gooseberries in late summer.
The amount of sugar recommended to be mixed with the gooseberries will leave a little 'challenging' tartness, which we like.
Perhaps have a small bowl of caster sugar at hand when serving, for those with a sweet tooth!
For 4 generous helpings:
1 teaspoon (5ml) Butter
2 lbs/1 kilo Gooseberries, headed and tailed, then washed
6 oz/180gr Caster Sugar
3 tablespoons (45ml) Water
For the Crumble Topping:
8 oz/240gr Plain Flour
4 oz/120gr Butter, cut into small pieces
3 oz/90gr Sugar
Equipment needed: a medium-sized baking dish
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 5.
2. Butter the baking dish, then spread the fruit evenly in the baking dish and sprinkle it with the sugar and water.
3. Sift the flour into a mixing bowl (this will make the crumble lighter). Add the pieces of butter, and work them in with your fingers - so you end up with a mixture resembling breadcrumbs.
4. Stir in the sugar.
5. Cover the gooseberries with this crumble topping.
6. Bake in the pre-heated oven for about 50 minutes, or until the crumble is golden.
Serve with cream or custard.