« back to recipes search results
Chicken with Turmeric Recipe
A delicious way of pot-roasting chicken. It
For 4 helpings:
1 x 2 kilo/4 lb Oven-Ready Roasting Chicken - free range if possible
Salt and freshly-ground Black Pepper
1 large or 2 medium Onions, peeled and finely-chopped
6 medium-sized Tomatoes - skinned, by dipping them in boiling water for 30 seconds, then chopped
30gr/1 oz Butter
1 teaspoon (5ml) Caster Sugar
2 teaspoons (10ml) Ground Turmeric
2 large cloves Garlic, peeled and finely chopped
Beurre Manié - made by mixing 15ml/½ oz of soft butter with an equal quantity of white flour, to form a paste.
Equipment needed: a heavy casserole with a close-fitting lid
1. Make a slit to the skin, near the cavity opening on the breast side of the chicken and pull as much skin off as possible.
2. Melt the butter over a very gentle heat in your heavy casserole, then add the chopped onions and 'sweat' them until they're transparent but not brown. Add the chopped garlic and cook for a further 2 minutes.
3. Add the chicken to the casserole, with one side of its breast down and increase the heat a little; after 5 minutes, turn over to the other side of the breast.
4. Add the tomatoes and season with salt and pepper and the sugar. When the tomatoes start to bubble, add the turmeric and mix well in.
5. Heat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
6. Cover the casserole and put it in the oven. After 30 minutes, turn the chicken over to the other side of its breast and cook for a further 30 minutes.
7. Remove the casserole from the oven and insert a small sharp knife or skewer into the thickest part of the thigh, the juices should run clear - if any pink remains return to the oven for a further 10 minutes.
8. When the juices run clear, mix in the beurre manié and stir well in. Turn the bird breast side up, and cook on top of the stove to cook-out the taste of any raw flour.
Carve the chicken into joints - perhaps slicing the breasts - Serve with the sauce.