« back to recipes search results
Spinach Bhaji Recipe
An excellent accompaniment/side dish to have with curry.
It's very easy to make, and can be made a little ahead of time and reheated in a microwave at the last minute.
- Suitable for Vegetarians
- Suitable for Vegans
500gr/1 lb Frozen Leaf Spinach
1 tablespoon (15ml) Vegetable Oil
½ teaspoon (2ml) Black Mustard Seed
30gr/1 oz Butter or Dahl (available from Indian grocers)
1 medium Onion, peeled and halved, then very-thinly sliced
¼ teaspoon (1ml) Chili Powder
1 large Tomato, peeled by dipping in boiling water for 30 seconds, then chopped
1. Thaw the spinach, then squeeze it, to force as much water out as possible.
2. Chop the spinach, the try to squeeze even more water out.
3. Heat the oil in a heavy pan and when it's hot add the mustard seed and the butter/ghee.
4. When the seeds start to spit, add the onion and fry it over a medium heat under it goes golden (but not dark) brown, stirring frequently.
5. Add the spinach, chili powder and the chopped tomato.
6. Cook for 5 minutes, turning it over occasionally so the spinach cooks evenly.