« back to recipes search results
Spinach Tart Recipe
This is best served warm, or at room temperature.
For 6 helpings:
1 batch of Shortcrust Pastry (q.v.)
750gr/1½ lbs Fresh Spinach or 250gr/½ lb of Frozen Leaf Spinach, thawed
60gr/2 oz Butter
Salt and freshly-ground Black Pepper
60gr/2 oz Cottage Cheese
60gr/2 oz Cream Cheese
60gr/2 oz Grated Fresh Parmesan (don't be tempted to used dried Parmesan)
100ml/4 fl oz Double Cream
2 large Eggs, lightly beaten
A Pinch of Mace or Nutmeg
Equipment needed: a 18-23 cm/7-9 ins lose-bottomed flan ring
1. If using fresh spinach, wash and drain it, and remove the stalks, cook it in the butter with a little salt. If using frozen spinach, squeeze as much water out as possible roughly chop it then again, cook it gently in the butter with a little salt.
2. Cook the fresh spinach until it wilts and frozen until it's heated through, season both with pepper.
3. Drain both in a colander, as you don't want too much liquid.
4. Lightly butter the flan ring and line it with the pastry, which has been rolled-out thinly.
5. Mix together the three types of cheese, the add the cream and the eggs plus the mace or nutmeg.
6. Mix this in with the spinach and fill the pastry case with the mixture.
7. Bake it, on a baking tray, in an oven 180C/350F/Gas 4 for 25 - 30 minutes.
Serve. Try not to refrigerate it, as it won't be at its best.