« back to recipes search results
Poulet/Chicken Provenćale Recipe
An excellent chicken recipe and apart from the mushrooms authentic, but they do improve the flavour, so they’re worth including.
If you enjoy cooking take a minute to look at http://www.gourmetbritain.com/cookery-wine-schools/32475/simon-scrutton-cookery-classes/ - learn how to make top-class dishes from beginners upwards.
4 Chicken leg and thigh joints
2 tablespoons (30ml) Olive Oil
1 large Onions, peeled and finely-chopped
1 Green or Red Pepper
3 medium Cloves of Garlic, peeled - 2 of them chopped, one set aside
6 Tomatoes, peeled by dippi ng for 30 seconds in boiling water, then plunged into very cold water - then chop them
240gr/8 oz Button Mushrooms, sliced
2 tablespoons (30ml) Tomato Purée
½ bottle Dry White Wine
¼ pint Water
16 Black Olives
a large pinch of Dried Thyme, 1 sprig of fresh Rosemary needles
To finish: the leaves from 2 sprigs of fresh Basil (finely-chopped), 2 sprigs of fresh Parsley finely-chopped
1. In a heavy pan, large enough to hold all the ingredients, heat the olive oil and brown the chicken pieces over a medium heat. Remove them and set them aside, leaving as much oil behind as possible.
2. Halve and deseed the pepper and slice them.
3. Add the onions and brown them, then add the mushrooms and cook for a further 2 minutes stirring occasionally.
4. Stir in the tomato purée follow by the white wine and water.
5. Put the chicken back in the casserole together with the chopped tomatoes and the olives and season with the dried thyme and fresh rosemary needles.