« back to recipes search results
Brandy Snap Baskets Recipe
These crisp brandy-snap-style baskets are the ideal smart container for mousse-type puds and ice creams, and are easy to make.
They keep well in an air-tight tin.
120g/4 oz Butter
120g/4 oz Caster Sugar
4 level tablespoons (60ml) Golden Syrup
120g/4 oz Plain Flour
1 rounded teaspoon (5ml) Ground Ginger
2 teaspoon (10ml) Brandy
the freshly-grated Rind of 1 Lemon
1. Grease two baking trays, or line them with non-stick paper, and butter the outsides of suitable moulds (these will form the shape of your ginger basket).
2. Heat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF/Gas4.
3. Melt the butter with the sugar and syrup over a low heat. Using a wooden spoon, stir until smooth, then remove from the heat.
4. Sift the flour and ginger, and stir it into the melted ingredients, together with the brandy & lemon rind.
5. Mix thoroughly with a wooden spoon and leave to cool for 2 minutes – no longer.
6. Drop the mixture in teaspoons, at 12cm / 5 ins intervals onto the baking trays.
7. Bake at the top of the heated oven for 7 – 10 minutes or until the biscuits are bubbly, lacy in texture and golden brown. Rotate the biscuits if necessary.
8. Remove the biscuits from the oven and quickly drape each over its mould and leave them to set.