« back to recipes search results
Bread and Butter Pudding Recipe
An old favourite, and when a little extra care is taken justifiably so. The recipe we give is a fairly rich version, for a more everyday pudding, replace the cream with an equal quantity of milk.
For 6 helpings:
12-14 slices of Medium Sliced White Bread (or similar), with the crusts removed
90gr/3oz Butter, at room temperature
the grated Rind of 2 Oranges
1 teaspoon (5ml) Chopped Mixed Peel
180gr/6 oz Sultanas, soaked for at least 30 minutes in 1 small glass (100ml/4 fl oz) Sweet Sherry
400ml /14 fl oz Milk, Cream or Mixed
2 medium Eggs, lightly beaten
25 ml / 1 oz Sugar
- Grease the bottom and sides of the baking dish with half the butter, generously butter the slices of bread with the remainder.
- Cut the bread into quarters, and cover the bottom on the baking dish - butter side up.
- Sprinkle with half the sultanas, keeping back the Sherry, half the nutmeg and half the orange rind and chopped peel.
- Add another layer of bread and repeat the process.
- Finish with a last layer of bread.
- Beat the eggs, until well mixed, in a bowl big enough to hold all the ingredients - set these aside.
- Heat the milk/cream, sugar, Sherry and vanilla essence, until it's hot, but not boiling.
- Slowly add the hot milk to the egg mixture, beating all the time.
- Strain this mixture over the bread and allow it to stand for 30 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 180C / 350F / Gas 4, then bake in the oven for 30 minutes, or until the top is golden.