For 12 helpings: (it's not really worth making less, as it will be eaten quickly)
600ml/1 pint full-cream Milk
1 Vanilla Pod (halved) or 1 teaspoon (5ml) Vanilla Essence/Extract (not Flavouring)
2 Whole Egg
4 Egg Yolks
180gr/6 oz Caster Sugar
600ml/1 pint Double Cream
1 large measure of Vodka (optional) - this will make the finished ice cream easier to scoop out.
1. Bring the milk (and the split vanilla pod, if using) to the point where it's almost boiling - but don't allow it to boil.
2. Remove it from the heat and allow it to stand for about 20 minutes to extract flavour from the vanilla pod. If not using a vanilla pod, add the vanilla essence - but still allow it to stand to cool a little.
3. Cream the whole egg with the yolks and sugar until they're creamy and pale.
4. Stir in the milk then strain this mixture into a clean saucepan.
5. Heat this mixture gently until it thickens enough to coat a wooden spoon - you must stir all the time while doing this.
6. Strain this again into a clean bowl and allow it to cool.
7. Beat the cream until it's a little stiff (to add to the bulk), then fold it thoroughly into the cooled custard.
8. Freeze in a suitable container, which has a well-fitting lid.
9. Every half and hour take it out, and beat it so it doesn't freeze in an unmanageable block.