« back to recipes search results
Fruit Cake Recipe
A good fruit cake, which is easy to make, and can be iced for a special occasion.
For a 20cm/8 in cake tin:
210gr/7 oz Butter - at room temperature
250gr/8 oz Mixed Dried Fruit (or 120g/4 oz of Sultanas & Raisins, but this will have a little less interest)
90gr/3 oz Glacé Cherries, roughly-chopped
390gr/13 oz Self-Raising Flour
½ teaspoon (2ml) Salt
1 teaspoon (5ml) Mixed Spice
4 tablespoons (45ml) Milk
3 large Eggs
Equipment needed: a 20cm/8in cake tin; Bakewell/Silicon baking paper; a mixing bowl, big enough to hold all the ingredients
1. Line the cake tin, including the bottom, with the silicon paper. Although this might not stay in place, it will as you slowly add the finished cake mixture.
2. Heat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF/Gas 4, putting the shelf in the centre.
3. Put all the dry ingredients into a mixing bowl, then rub in the butter - using the tips of your fingers.
4. Add the milk and eggs and mix everything together with a wooden spoon, this must be done thoroughly, and will take a few minutes.
5. Slowly turn the mixture into the cake tin, being careful to 'pin' the baking paper in place, and levelling the top of the mixture.
6. Bake the cake for about 90 minutes, then remove the cake from the oven and insert a sharp knife. If this comes out clean, the cake is ready, if not - bake for 10 minutes longer.
7. When ready, allow the cake to cool for about 10 minutes, before turning it out and cooling it on a wire rack if you have one.
Once completely cool, kept the cake in an air-tight tin.