« back to recipes search results
This recipe produces a delicious jam that's not too sweet. It's a good idea to save jam jars (those with a vacuum safety lid are best, and becoming the norm) throughout the year. Carefully sterilise them and their lids by boiling them in water for 20 minutes then allowing to dry; or washing then putting in a low oven
- Suitable for Vegetarians
- Suitable for Vegans
5 lbs/2.5 kilos Strawberries, hulled & washed
the Grated Rind and juice of 2 Lemons
4½ lbs/2.25 kilos Preserving Sugar (use one labelled for fruit with low pectin if possible)
1. Crush about a quarter of the fruit in a big heavy pan, then add the grated lemon zest & sieved juice.
2. Heat the pan over a low heat until you have a liquid – about 10 minutes – then add the remaining strawberries and the sugar, stirring the contents together with a wooden spoon.
3. Increase the heat, and bring the jam to the boil without stirring until it reaches 220°F on a thermometer. This should take about 20 minutes. Skim off any scum as it rises to the top.
4. Ladle the jam to the brim of clean, dry, jars (the level will sink slightly as the jam cools).
5. Cover with your screw-top lids – or with a circle of greaseproof paper and jam covers secured with rubber bands. Cool – then store in a cool, dark place.