« back to recipes search results
Ice Cream; Caramel Recipe
Excellent ice cream, more easily made in an ice cream machine if you have one. If not, you will have to interrupt the ice cream's freezing process by removing it from the deep freeze every hour or so
Equipment needed: An ice cream machine if possible, if not a food processor or strong whisk. A double boiler, or a big bowl that neatly sits inside a saucepan of water without the bowl touching the liquid.
Ingredients for about 8 helpings:
1. Dissolve 90g/3 oz of the sugar in a small saucepan with the water, over a low heat.
2. When fully dissolved, increase the heat to medium and boil steady until you have a medium brown caramel - don't stir at any time. Remove from the heat.
3. In a separate pan, bring the milk and cream to a point just under the boil, then carefully add this to the set caramel, stirring until it dissolves. Set aside.
4. Beat the remaining sugar with the egg yolks until the mixture is creamy the stir this into the cooled caramel mixture.
5. Transfer the mixture to the top of a double boiler, bring the water in the bottom half to a gentle boil, then cover with the cream container. Heat this mixture until you have a custard thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon. Stirring constantly until this has been achieved. This might take 20 minutes.
6. Allow the custard to cool before freezing it in an ice cream machine or another suitable container; mixing the vodka in if you're using it.
7. If you don't have a machine, remove the mixture from the deep freeze ever hour and beat it, before returning it to the freezer. You might have to do this as many as 4 times.