« back to recipes search results
Bubble and Squeak Recipe
A dish made by frying mashed potato and either chopped Greens or Cabbage together with a little onion. It can be made with leftovers, but is better still made with freshly-cooked ingredients, as directed here. A little of your chopped leftover roast could be used for bulking up the dish if you wish.
If you enjoy cooking take a minute to look at http://www.gourmetbritain.com/cookery-wine-schools/32475/simon-scrutton-cookery-classes/ - top-class dishes from beginners upwards
For 4 generous helpings - enough as a stand alone lunch with supper dish, perhaps served with a side salad:
1 kilo/2 lbs Mashed Potatoes, seasoned with Salt, Pepper, plus a little grated Nutmeg (if possible)
2 medium or 1 large Onion, peeled and roughly chopped
1 medium clove of Garlic, peeled and chopped (optional)
1. Combine the mashed potato with the sliced cabbage.
2. Melt half the butter in a wide and deep frying pan over a low heat and sweat the onions until they are translucent but not brown. Add the chopped garlic and cook for a further minute.
3. Add this mixture to your potato and cabbage mixture, and a little more salt (depending on weather or not the potatoes have already been salted) and plenty of freshly-ground black pepper. Mix everything well together.
4. Melt the remaining butter in the same frying pan over a medium heat, the add the potato and cabbage mixture.
5. Cook the mixture for about five minutes, stirring occasionally.
Serve when the mixture is hot.